No just one can resist a scrumptious pie. Although apple pie generally ranks as the major favourite, hen pie arrives at a extremely shut second.
Why is a hen pie recipe such a preferred dish for homemaker and their family members? For just one, hen pie can already be deemed as a comprehensive meal since of the proteins and carbohydrates that you can derive from the hen meat and crust, respectively, and the essential fiber from legumes and vegetables that you include to the filling.
Even so, since you can locate hen pies nearly almost everywhere, they have turn out to be unfairly labeled as “everyday” fare. Some not-so-discriminate men and women have even appear to assert that all hen pies flavor the very same, regardless of the point that there are countless numbers of varieties of hen pie recipes that you can locate on the Web.
This remark can not be reported of hen pies designed by culinary specialists from the main 5-star eating places in the globe right now. Just verify out the fact cooking exhibits on Television set and you will see Master Chefs completely transform the humble hen pie into a gourmet delight.
One particular superior case in point of a gourmet hen pie recipe is the Hen and Mushroom Pie generation of Chef David Coulson in the preferred BBC cooking competition demonstrate “MasterChef” The Pros”. Give this recipe a consider in your have kitchen area and uncover the culinary magic that a Master Chef can weave on a humble hen pie recipe…
MasterChef David Coulson’s Hen and Mushroom Pie
Ingredients for the Hen:
1 huge full hen
olive oil, for drizzling
freshly ground black pepper
100ml/3½fl oz hen inventory
100ml/3½fl oz Madeira
Ingredients for the Sauce:
2 tbsps vegetable oil
2 modest carrots }
1 celery adhere } Make absolutely sure that these 4 elements are finely chopped
1 shallot }
1 clove garlic }
1 leek, cleaned and sliced
100g/3½oz mixed mushrooms (ideally morels and girolles), cleaned and chopped
150ml/5fl oz dry white wine
100ml/3½fl oz double cream
4 huge flat mushrooms (take away the stalks)
Ingredients for the Pastry:
225g/8oz all set-designed puff pastry
flour, for dusting
1 absolutely free-vary egg, crushed
1) Preheat your oven to 200C or 400F or Fuel 6.
2) With the use of a boning knife, minimize off the legs and wings from the hen and set apart. Cautiously carve off the breasts. Drizzle the breasts with a small olive oil and period with salt and pepper. Tightly wrap the hen breasts in plastic cling wrap and set apart.
3) Arrange your hen legs on a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil and period with salt and pepper. Roast the legs for 30 minutes, or until eventually they are golden brown and cooked by means of (poke the thickest component of the leg with a fork or skewer to see if the juices run clear). Baste the hen as often as essential although cooking.
3) Unwrap the hen breasts from plastic cling movie. Poach the breasts for twenty minutes (or until eventually cooked by means of) in a pan of simmering water. Cautiously shred the meat within a bowl and set it apart.
4) Permit your Madeira and hen inventory in your modest pan simmer for a few minutes right before including the hen wings. Cook the wings for twenty minutes, or until eventually it is cooked by means of. Established the wings apart, but retain your cooking inventory on reserve.
five) Cook the sauce by heating butter and 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a pan. Carefully fry the carrots, celery, leek and shallot for 4-five minutes, or until eventually the vegetables start off to soften. Increase the garlic and mushrooms with each other with your remaining oil and gently fry for yet another 4 to five minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer until eventually most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in cream. Place in your shredded hen leg meat.
6) Arrange your flat mushrooms in excess of a baking sheet and spoon the mushroom sauce on major.
seven) For the pastry, begin by rolling out with a rolling pin the puff pastry on a floured floor. With the use of a pastry cutter, stamp out circles in the very same size as the flat mushrooms that you have arranged on your baking sheet. Put the pastry on a different baking sheet. Prick the floor with a fork or skewer. Brush the pastry with the crushed egg. Bake this with each other with the filled mushrooms for 8 to ten minutes, or until eventually it has risen well and turned golden brown.
8) To provide, minimize the hen breast into thick slices with a knife. Eliminate all the bones from the hen wings. Sit the mushrooms on a serving plate. Arrange a pastry circle on major and at an angle. Lay the hen breast and wing meats alongside. Reheat the reserve hen inventory and Madeira sauce and drizzle in excess of the plate. Garnish the pie with fresh thyme. Serve with creamed potatoes.